Friday, April 17, 2009

New Yankee Stadium

I grew up on Long Island as a New York Yankees fan, taking after my father (and his father before that.) I first went to Yankee Stadium in 1967, right at the conclusion of Mickey Mantle's career. I think I was at Reggie's first game as a Yankee. I loved Thurman Munson and cried when I heard that he had died in a plane crash. I was at the Stadium the day before Dave Righetti threw his no hitter. Don Mattingly (same age as me by the way) was my hero and I still regret that injuries kept him from putting up the final stats needed for election into the Hall of Fame. I took my son to the Stadium for his first baseball game.

I have mixed feelings about a New Yankees Stadium. I understand that Yankee Stadium was old and lacking amenities, but it was historic. You can move the name to the new stadium, you can keep the facade, and you can keep the same field dimensions but it will never be the same. Now, it's just another new stadium, but one with a famous name. I think something special has died.

1 comment:

  1. For a rebuttal, read my brother's blog post: http://macconsult.com/wordpress/2009/04/what-makes-a-house-a-home/

    ReplyDelete